University Assistant (post doc) at the Department of Science and Technology Studies
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 179 fields of study, approx. 10.000 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
University Assistant (post doc)
at the Department of Science and Technology Studies
Reference number: 13166
The Department of Science and Technology Studies is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences. Science and Technology Studies is a social science field with a strong interdisciplinary orientation that analyses the interactions of science, technology and society. Department research focuses on knowledge and technology cultures, the relations of techno-sciences and publics, and the governance of techno-sciences and society. The department offers the English language master program 'Science-Technology-Society', as well as a number of course formats for other programs.
The post doc will join the group of Professor Ulrike Felt, which will focus on her ERC Advanced Grant Innovation residues. Research will explore questions of value/waste relations for diverse fields of innovation, governance and responsibility of innovation, temporalities and future making practices in innovation fields, as well as environmental sustainability and infrastructures of care for left-behinds of innovation. Applicants’ interests should connect to some of these perspectives.
The anticipated start date of the position is July 2022.
• Independent research in Science and Technology Studies related to the above mentioned areas
• Participation in the research project on Innovation Residues
• Single and collaborative publication of research results in recognised international journals and/or book publishers
• Independent teaching of courses in Science and Technology Studies at the bachelor and master level (one course per semester)
• Supervision or co-supervision of students at master level
• Contribution to the administration and management of the research group and department
• Completed PhD (by the time the position begins)
• Broad knowledge of the topics, theories and methods of Science and Technology Studies
• Distinct research profile in the areas mentioned above, expressed in international publications and in a coherent research plan
• Teaching experience: the candidate should be able to offer thematically focused research seminars as well as introductory courses with a broader thematic spectrum, both at bachelor and master level
• Excellent proficiency in English; proficiency in German is an advantage
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate ability to work in a team, organising ability, and reliability.
• Letter of motivation
• Curriculum Vitae
• Teaching statement, including a syllabus of one or two courses the candidate has taught
• Two selected papers – or sections of larger publications – as evidence of writing skills
• A 3-5 page research statement (references not included in page count), including a plan for the course of the 4 year position
• The names and contact details of two referees
Main research field
Special research fields
Other Social Sciences
Social studies of science;Technology studies
Other Social Sciences
Social studies of science
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 15.07.2022, mentioning reference number 13166.
For further information please contact Felt, Ulrike +43-1-4277-49611.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.